Non-toxic mosquito repellent ideas from HOMEGROWNers
Last week we asked HOMEGROWNers how they kept the biting bugs away while tending to things outdoors. Black flies and greenheads still perplex us, but folks had several nontoxic mosquito repellent recipes.
- Emily recommends smoke, citronella and avoiding perfumes, lotions and soaps.
- Becca says that Neem oil “smells so bad that it keeps EVERYTHING away!”
- Cammy says that rosemary essential oil on her skin, and spritzed on her clothes and hair does the trick – much like the recipe from Mother Earth News.
- Cynthia tells us: “Grab a few leaves of lemon balm, smoosh ‘em up and rub on arms and legs. Works great and smells great too.”
- Dusty Canyon (one of the best facebook page member names that we’ve seen) linked to an article: Plants That Repel Mosquitoes that recommends cultivated and wild plants, as well as cutting down on processed food in your diet (hooray!).
- Jacqueline reminds us that bats are our best friend when controlling mosquitoes in your area. Have you built a bat house? Here’s an easy how-to from the HOMEGROWN blog about that.
- Arthur linked to an intriguing idea for taking the itch out of the bites that you do get: Use Scotch Tape or Nail Polish to Relieve an Itchy Mosquito Bite (from Lifehacker).
So we’ve got rosemary, lemon balm, vanilla, and SuzyJ on Twitter suggests basil – Do you have any advice for your fellow HOMEGROWNers?